Apple looks to take a bite out of Google’s map and search dominance with a re-launching of their version of Google Business Profiles now called Apple Business Connect.
- Apple announced a big update to Apple Maps on Wednesday that will add new photos, buttons and promotions to the app on business pages.
- The move will encourage Apple Maps users to seek more than just directions by offering new information and photos about business locations.
- It’s the latest example of competition between Apple Maps and Google Maps.
What is Apple Business Connect?
In Apple’s own words, Apple Business Connect lets you “put your business on the map.” Okay, well, duh. However, they go on to say that this “free tool allows businesses of all sizes to customize the way their information appears across Apple apps.”
Now we’re getting somewhere!
Essentially, it’s a Google Business Profile but for Apple Maps – something that many businesses will welcome since Apple is the #2 or #3 (depending on the survey) map app used in the United States.
When Apple Maps Connect was initially released, it wasn’t quite as feature-rich or useful to businesses as its biggest competitor (can you guess who?), who’s main product is Google Business Profile. It offered a much more basic product that essentially just let you list your business and appear on Apple Maps.
As you can see from Apple’s screenshot below, though, there’s a lot more to this new iteration:
Apple Tools for Small Businesses
The cool thing is Apple designed Business Connect with small businesses in mind. They now offer small businesses the same access and ability to customize their digital presence as global brands.
ABC complements other Apple services designed to help small businesses grow and reach customers, including Tap to Pay on iPhone — which enables businesses to seamlessly and securely accept Apple Pay, contact-less credit and debit cards, and other digital wallets through a simple tap to their iPhone — and Business Essentials, a subscription that brings together device management, 24/7 support, and cloud storage.
The latest wrinkle, according to Mark Gurman, a reporter for Bloomberg Business, is Apple may be preparing to launch their own Search Ads for Apple Maps.
Apple’s new business connect feature is clearly preparation for Search Ads coming to Apple Maps. Businesses will want to make sure their pages in Maps are accurate/customized before paying for ad placement. https://t.co/eNByw7E2hd— Mark Gurman (@markgurman) January 11, 2023
Let’s Sum Up
- Apple has updated its old listing functionality for Apple Maps, which was called Apple Maps Connect to a new product called Apple Business Connect
- Business Connect will allow you to manage your presence in Apple Maps like Google’s Business Profile
- There’s a host of new features like images, insights, and customizable call-to-action buttons
- We can claim your Business Connect and make sure the information is accurate for your business!
While this launch is very exciting, it’s also new territory. As such, there is likely more to come. We’ll keep you updated with any further developments on Apple Business Connect and how you can get the most out of it for your business.